Thursday 13 June 2013

Unit 23 - Task 1 - Colour Negative

A negative is a strip of plastic film, on which the darkest areas are lightest and the lightest areas are darkest. They're an inverted version of a black and white image.

A colour negative works on the same principle, where the colours are converted into their respective complementary colours.

35mm Colour Negative Film

Colour negative film usually has a dull orange tint to it, because of a colour-masking feature within the film.

Colour negative film is the most commonly known film. Everyone will most likely have used it or at least heard of it. In the days before digital photography, colour negative film was available to use in your professional camera, but it was also integrated in those cheap 'throw away' cameras designed for one time use. You would then simply hand in the camera at the shop and they would develop the film.



Above is an image that I shot 17 years ago with my 'old' Canon camera on 35mm colour negative film, whilst on holiday in the United States of America.

Personally, I think that shooting on film is a skill. It makes you think. Nowadays, the camera does almost everything for you and all you have to do is press a button. The only thing you have to think about is composition. Don't get me wrong, when I took this image there were already 'Auto' modes and things that made life easier for the amateur photographer. If I was to take that image again with the knowledge I have now, I wouldn't use those. I would do it the manual way.

Even though this images was taken when I was 15 years old and without any photographic skills at all, it's clear what differences there are in image quality compared to digital photography. The film image is not as crisp. Perhaps it's because of my age, but digital photography has my preference. I prefer the sharpness in images.

No comments:

Post a Comment