Thursday 13 June 2013

Unit 27 - Digital Montage - Research - Axel Saffran

Axel Saffran is a Dutch artist. He uses his computer to create surrealistic photomontages. Below is an image from his 'Turning' collection from 2009.


From what I can figure out myself, the original image is that of an apple. This seems to have been layered with a wall type texture and several birds. He then used a sky and other birds to complete it.

I love this. This is really cool. It is almost like another planet or even Star Wars' Death Star (Yes, perhaps I show my inner nerd here).

Saffran also creates montages based on the elements, earth, wind, fire and air. Below is an image he created for the element of air.

He has taken lots of different photographs of skies and layered them in a David Hockney way to create a whole new image. To me, it looks like a whole new round cloud. I really quite like this, because the longer you look at it, the more you see.

I'm not sure whether I will use anything like this in my own montage, seeing as my idea is totally different. But it's been interesting to see.


Image Resources:

http://www.axelsaffran.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment