Thursday 13 June 2013

Unit 27 - Digital Montage - Research - Mister Koppa

Mister Michael David Jerome Hoffmann Koppa, or Mister Koppa for short, is an American artist born in Wisconsin USA in 1969.





As you can see, some of his work consists out of a full background image with several layers on top of it. This is kind of what I used in my own montages. It's a simple but very effective technique.

"Born with a nostalgic heart, I am attracted to commercially printed images predating the Atari 2600. Through the free association of images representing a century of human history, I stumble upon relationships I find to be interesting, intriguing, ironic, or just plain funny. These relationships may mean something or nothing at all, but always satisfy my craving for amusement."

It is this quote from the artist's website I tried to, kind of, apply in my own work. Having these little relationships between things. In my case, the little people and the scanned text.

Seeing as montages aren't really my thing, I find it hard to understand some if not all. However, I do appreciate the work that has gone into making them and the techniques that are used. Koppa's work, to me personally, doesn't mean anything. Yet I quite like some of the things that go on in his images. And sometimes, the longer you look the more you will see.


Resources:

http://misterkoppa.com

No comments:

Post a Comment